Don't waste your money on those GamePort-USB converters or throw your GamePort Pro Pedals away. You can convert them to USB for as little as $15.
All you need is a USB joystick with a throttle axis. I used a Logitech Extreme 3D which has a throttle axis (which I didn't use) and a rudder axis. If you can find a Logitech Wingman Attack 3 USB Joystick (which has just a throttle) then that's all you need. I've seen several on ebay for around $15.
Here's how I assigned the axes:
- X Axis (joystick roll) -- Left Toe Brake
- Y Axis (joystick pitch) -- Right Toe Brake
- "Twisty" Axis (joystick rudder) -- Rudder [If you use an Attack3, you will use the Throttle Axis.]
- Throttle Axis -- Unused
The Logitech Extreme 3D has three circuit boards in it. Two of them are in the base and one is in the head of the stick. I was not kind to the stick getting these boards out. I used a hammer and smashed the stem where the main wire runs up to the stick PCB because it would involve removing connectors otherwise. I used wire cutters to cut the joystick away from the boards while standing over a trash can. I had the circuit boards out in about ten minutes.
Next, I put tape on each pot so I could label what they are and connected the "Logitech Stick" (minus the stick
) to my computer and brought up the Game Controllers utility and found "Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick". I clicked "Properties" and turned each pot and labeled them according to what the driver utility said they were.
I then proceeded to open the Pro Pedals up and remove all the electronics and wires as I will not be using any electonic parts other than the three pots (left toe, right toe, rudder).
While I was at it, I decided to replace the flimsy little wires that come in these pedals with some manly ones that will last forever. I had a toe brake wire break on me once and I don't intend to have that problem again. I soldered the new wires to each of the toe brake pots and fished them down through the pedals.
After putting in the new wires, I used some stick-on velcro and secured the three Logitech PCBs to the base of the Pro Pedals. I then cut off the Logitech pots and joined the wires to the new wires I ran to each of the three Pro Pedal pots. I secured everything good with tie wraps.
After buttoning everything up. I the connected the pedals to my computer again and performed a calibration to make sure everything was working well.
Now, I have a set of USB Pro Pedals. Of course, Windows sees them as a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick but all you need to do is go into your favorite flight game and assigned the appropriate axes to your toe brakes and rudder and no one has to know the electronics is actually a joystick.
Total job only took about three hours.
This is the best life that piece of junk Logitech stick ever had!